Monday, October 6, 2008

My language beliefs

I believe that language can both be all-powerful and completely useless and untruthful at the same time. Language can be used to trick people into liking you or to trick people into doing something stupid-- which in a way gives you power over people. But sometimes when you have a feeling or thought, language can't help you explain it. Language can help with getting power or lying, but when you really want to be truthful and talk to someone, sometimes language can't help you. It's useless.
Class discussions and  Ms. Lewis visiting really got me thinking about how in some situations, both of the above examples are present. Like when I'm talking to my friends, you can get a complete opposite point across than you mean. Then, when the misunderstanding is all cleared up, it's really sort of interesting to know what they thought. I love moments when some one's real language comes out and you can get to know them better. 

No comments: